ME Guide Bill Robinson attacked by coyote

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

ME Guide Bill Robinson attacked by coyote

Post by 86er »

Registered Maine Guide Bill Robinson, my good friend and bear hunting partner, was attacked by a coyote yesterday. He was calling turkeys early in the AM. He was backed up to a thick little spruce tree. Suddenly, he was grabbed by the upper arm and shoulder and knocked over. A coyote had stalked him and pounced. The coyote quickly figured out he was no turkey and fled. Bill required stitches and rabies shots plus suffers some torn muscles. He's otherwise okay. I can't find any press on this to reference yet but one Boston radio station that interviewed him. If anyone finds a news link please feel free to post it. And, although not too seriously injured, wish Bill a quick recovery.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ME Guide Bill Robinson attacked by coyote

Post by TedH »

I have had a coyote stalk in and attack one of my turkey decoys before, but never thought one would jump on a human. :shock: I bet Bill will be doing some some coyote hunting in the future? Wish Bill a quick recovery.
NRA Life Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

glad hes ok...
most likely will be in some hunting mag next month....
not the first time i have heard of this sort of thing...
I have called in a few uninvited guests myself...
owls, hawks, ...a bald eagle tried to steal one of my decoys once...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I saw that somewhere last night Joe. I'll see if I can find it again.

Kevin
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ravens.....swarms of them....would circle when I would run the Circe 3-1 for bear or cougar...made me nervous.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Joe,

It was on the Outdoor Life website. They had a link to the Bangor Daily News, where there is a full article and photo of your friend. I would link to it but I am a computer moron and can't.

Kevin
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

NRA Life Member
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the risk of being too good.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bobcats can be a big problem down here.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

lousy way to make the news...glad he's ok. this is another good reason to take the advice of your Mother, "always wear clean underwear, never know what's going to happen"... :)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I've called up all kinds of predators myself while hunting turkey and without a decoy have come close to being ponced upon. That's why I use a decoy now. Also an electronic call helps keep the predators from thinking you are the turkey. the sound is away from you. I am getting lazier each day so sometimes I just sit in my polaris and call from there. It has been cameoed some so it works part of the time and that seems to be enough success for me these days. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Although I realize Bill was calling Turkeys, I stopped solo predator calling almost 20 years ago, when I had a "funny feeling" while honking on a dying rabbit call, overlooking a prime area downwind. 8)

When I looked over my shoulder, there was a mangy-looking Coyote stalking me, about 10' away. :o . :shock:

Although it ran off ASAP I jumped up & it realized I was "man", it shook me up enough to vow: "no mas solo". . :roll:

(THEN, I got out my TP )

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Bobcat did something similar to a fellow up here in Nebraska a few years back, Scratched him up pretty good. I have seen Bobcats while turkey hunting, but season not open to shoot them. Coyotes, different story, they have cost me a few toms, and some of them paid for it with their lives. A 2 1/2oz dose of #5 lead at under 20 feet will sure do a coyote in. Almost turned him inside out.
Best keep your eyes and ears open and be aware of things around you while turkey hunting, that is for certain.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sometimes good can be painful, I guess. A guy has to be aware of what's going on around him.

I had a coyote stalk up on me while I was glassing for deer about 20 years ago in a place called Round Valley up by Big Bear, CA. I put a FMJ .30-06 through him end-end.

Good doggy.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've had a few yotes come in the backdoor unbeknownst to me a couple of times while calling them. But, they always went wide. Though I do use a remote electronic call, so there attention was focused elsewhere. There may well have been more but they either saw or scented me and hightailed it without my seeing them.

Sorry to here your friend got bit, and especially that he had to have the rabies treatment. It's not as bad today as years ago, but still no cake walk.

You know, I can remember when yotes were mostly a southwest problem. But they seem to be one of the few species that has vastly increased their range in the last thirty or so years.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Glad he's ok! Makes for a great "guide" story later for the hunters :D Now who uses a turkey decoy and call while targeting coyotes or cats during the fur season?? When the critters wise up to the dying rabbit o r deer distress calls maybe it's time to haul out old Tom!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

And people wonder why we hunt coyotes around here.....
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up for your friend Joe! :shock: