Stevens Walnut Hill? It has a Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Stevens Walnut Hill? It has a Lever

Post by CBinNH »

A local gun pusher has a Stevens Walnut Hill for sale. It has an oval lever, not the Stevens Favorite type. Rear tang sight, front globe + scope blocks. Very nice wood. Spade pattern checkering. Flat steel buttplate, not schuetzen curved type. Oh yeah, 22LR caliber. Looks very clean, no majors scratches, dings, or blue wear. Are these any good? Is it worth the $850 asking price? Thanks.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Stevens Walnut Hill? It has a Lever

Post by airedaleman »

Yes and yes. Check over at http://www.assra.com
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I never heard of them, but there's lots of information on them out there:
They seem to be quite the collector's gun, and evidently if in good shape, excellent shooters. Some folks re-barreling them if bore not good.

If you just want an accurate .22 LR I'm sure you could get one for a third that price that is 'modern', but would be far less interesting.

This one evidently sold for $1,149.95

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

AJMD429, thanks for the links.
I did a little looking myself before posting. Nothing in the links looks like the one I am considering.
I'll have to go look it over good & resist the 9422 magnum NIB he has too.
airedaleman,
the ASSRA site was down when I tried it.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Is the lever a 3 finger "loop" or the correct long curved lever that has a "nub", on the end? Does it have a long semi beavertail forearm? Does the receiver have any case coloring left? Is the barrel 28" or 26"?

If the tang sight is a windage adjustable Lyman, then that alone is worth $300-$350.

Steel buttplate is correct.

If it's all original, then $850 couldn't have come out of my pocket fast enough. :wink: The Walnut Hill was one of Stevens premium single shot 22 target rifles.

This is what it should look like, but this is a bit overpriced. http://www.gunsinternational.com/J-Stev ... =100213515
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Jdad,
It has a lever loop. The receiver is blue. The wood is light colored & reminds me of tiger maple. It is a Lyman adjustable rear tang sight.
The fore end has a spade checkered at each end. The butt stock has checkering that looks more traditional. I wonder if it is original. There
is a set of holes in the barrel with screws in them between the scope blocks. The serial # is 339 if I remember right. Didn't measure for barrel
length.I'm passing on it.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I would pass on it. It sounds like it's been put together, as a custom gun, with a 44 or 44-1/2 action.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.