Winchester Model 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GabbyHaze

Winchester Model 94

Post by GabbyHaze »

Howdy gang,
I thaught I'd share a picture of my Winchester Model 94 - 32 special with you. I've had it for years and have taken many deer and other game with it.

JT
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Model 94

Post by kimwcook »

Nice looking '94. Looks like you've taken good care of it over the years.
Old Law Dawg
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

kimwcook wrote:Nice looking '94. Looks like you've taken good care of it over the years.

Thanks,
It's a bit worn but in great shape. I've had it for about 24 years, I purchased from a friend who was 76 years old. ( I don't know how long he had it ). My wife still uses it for deer, but 32 special ammo is getting harder and more expensive to find.

JT
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Gabyhaze,

I was just in Sheridan over the weekend for a small stay. Loved it.
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Mich hunter wrote:Gabyhaze,

I was just in Sheridan over the weekend for a small stay. Loved it.

Glad you enjoyed your stay, maybe next time I can show you around a bit.
I was born and raised in Rhode Island, my wife and I moved to Sheridan,Wy 10 years ago and love living here.

JT
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nice looking 94. Glad to hear it's been earning its keep.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
hemiallen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hemiallen »

Nice looking Carbine.

I had a porr shaped 32 ws rifle for a few days, and bought ammo for it but never did shoot it. Someday I'll find a 32 to shoot this in. I think reloading is in the future for you, unfortunately.

Allen
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

hemiallen wrote:Nice looking Carbine.

I had a porr shaped 32 ws rifle for a few days, and bought ammo for it but never did shoot it. Someday I'll find a 32 to shoot this in. I think reloading is in the future for you, unfortunately.

Allen
I don't shoot enough to justify the cost of reloading equipmet. I do most of my shooting with a 22 these days.

JT
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD wrote:Nice looking 94. Glad to hear it's been earning its keep.
Ditto. That's one of the nicest things about '94s... if the owner's willin', they'll certainly earn their keep!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Is that a sling swivel under the forend...? If so, what kind? Never saw one like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

AJMD429 wrote:Is that a sling swivel under the forend...? If so, what kind? Never saw one like that.
It is, but I have no idea what kind it is, it was on the gun when I purchased it from my friend and he passed away so I can't ask him. 8) I had always assumed it was a factory swivel???????

JT
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That's not a factory swivel at that location. The forearm wood is pretty thin at that location, due to the mag tube. I've seen several cracked forearms from people installing swivels into the forearm wood. It should be okay on yours as long as you don't actually put a sling on it. It might be safer to just unscrew it and fill the hole with some wood filler. Properly done, it will hardly be noticeable and you'll eliminate the possibility of cracking the forearm if the swivel gets banged or too much strain on it.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

AJMD429 wrote:Is that a sling swivel under the forend...? If so, what kind? Never saw one like that.

Howdy AJMD429,
I was reading your sig line ( Doctors for "Sensible" gun laws. I couldn't help but think, there are no Sensible Gun laws. We have the second amendment right to keep and bear arms and it's already against the law to murder someone ( notice I said Murder, not Kill. You can kill in self defence ) so why would we need any more gun laws?
In my own personal opinion gun laws are designed to chip away at our second amendment right to own a firearm and as a way for the government to make money off people who own and buy guns. Criminals are "lawless people", they don't care about gun laws, so in reality gun laws only effect law abiding people.
Anyway, it was just a thaught I had while reading your post.
It's nice to meet you. Take care and God Bless.

JT
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

KirkD wrote:That's not a factory swivel at that location. The forearm wood is pretty thin at that location, due to the mag tube. I've seen several cracked forearms from people installing swivels into the forearm wood. It should be okay on yours as long as you don't actually put a sling on it. It might be safer to just unscrew it and fill the hole with some wood filler. Properly done, it will hardly be noticeable and you'll eliminate the possibility of cracking the forearm if the swivel gets banged or too much strain on it.

:shock: I've carried it with a sling for about 24 years now. I just swap the sling back and forth between my Ruger 10/22 and the Winchester 94 ( it's on the 10/22 right now because we just went prairie dog huntin ) and I've never had a problem, there is not even a hint at cracking???

JT
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well that is a surprise. I've had a few that had a sling swivel mounted there and every one of them was cracked when the screw pulled out. Winchester never mounted their forearm swivels on wood, always on steel. It might be that your sling swivel has something on the other side to strengthen the attachment. If it is just a screw into the wood, then you've been fortunate.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nice carbine.

Looks like a sling mount for a Remington 740-something autoloader or pumpomatic.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Malamute wrote:Nice carbine.

Looks like a sling mount for a Remington 740-something autoloader or pumpomatic.
My friend I baught it from was a gun dealer / gunsmith. I'll have to pull the gun back out and have a good look at how he rigged it up. Right now my spine, legs and ankles are to swollen to walk to the gun safe.

JT
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thats very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot