Round nose bullets in 32-20 levergun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hemiallen
Levergunner 2.0

Round nose bullets in 32-20 levergun?

Post by hemiallen »

I found a good deal on some roundnose 95 gn 32 bullets, and just realized they may not be safe in a winchester 1873?

Should I only shoot flatnose or can it tolerate roundnose lee bullets? My other 2 leverguns are a BLR and 99 Savage, so spirepts are ok...

Thanks
Allen
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Round nose bullets in 32-20 levergun?

Post by Mike D. »

Despite what the "experts" might advise, round nose bullets are not ever a problem with tubular magazine lever action rifles, including the '73.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Up until the time of the "cowboy" pheonomina the rounds like 32-20 were loaded with those vile round nosed bullets.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Mike D. wrote:Despite what the "experts" might advise, round nose bullets are not ever a problem with tubular magazine lever action rifles, including the '73.
MIKE, YOU'RE RIGHT ON RN BULLETS IN A LEVERGUN WITH LIGHT RECOIL CARTRIDGES BUT THE U.S GUMMIT TESTED THE EARLY MARLIN 45-70 LEVERGUN FOR USE BY AMERICAN SOLDIERS AND GAVE UP ON IT BECAUSE OF MAGAZINE EXPLOSIONS FROM THE ROUND NOSE SWAGED LEAD BULLETS SETTING OFF THE PRIMER AHEAD OF THE BULLETS. THEY HAD IT HAPPEN TWICE AND SAID RIGHT NOW, THAT IS ENOUGH OF THIS FOOLISHNESS !!
IDEAL INVENTED THE 405gr FLAT NOSE BULLETS SHORTLY THEREAFTER. NECESSITY IS TRULY THE MOTHER OF INVENTION
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I might be wrong on this one, but it also seems like the rounds the military used in that test were the internal primed cases? where the priming compound was smeared on the inside of the case head much like rimfire's? :?: That would make an awful lot of difference on what would or wouldn't torch of a round in the magazine.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Had to be the priming situation, like Don said. I have been using Hornady 350 RNs in my .458 caliber leverguns for years, and with some very stout loads, too.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 200 gr RN is the standard factory load for the 35 Rem. Handloader did a test with pointed bullets in magazine tubes trying to get spontanious ignition. The only one they could get to do it was the 45-70. It took alot of work with little cardboard guides in the tube to make sure the pointy part was on the primer of the shell ahead of it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I tested this theory and never could get one to go off. My testing involved only the 30-30 and the .219 Zipper. I made a dummy round and loaded it behind another dummy round that had a live primer and holes drilled in the side of the case in case (no pun intended) the primer went off.

Anyway, I loaded these two "dummies" in the magazine tube and shot a hundred rounds of full power ammo single shot style. When I was done I ejected the "dummies" and the one with the live primer showed only a very small mark, almost undetectable.

The Marlin that blew up the mag tube in the 1884 trials were loaded with heavy charges of BP and the old style primers which were much more sensitive than todays primers, but...............I still would not take the chance with heavy loads in a 45-70.----------------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

There have been more than a few blowups due to the bullet setting off the primer of the cartridge in front of it in the magazine tubes. These involved very heavy recoiling cartridges for the most part ... but Handloader covered a .44-40 that blew the magazine quite a few years ago. I don't remember the circumstances other than they were hot loads and that the shooter was injured.

I know of some Marlin's in 45-70 and a couple Winchester Model 71's that had been converted to heavier calibers that detonated the magazines.

BTW .. at lease one of the Marlin 45-70's that detonated used hardcast flat-meplat bullets. There is a slight "curve" in the Marlin magazine that puts the next cartridge to feed at enough of an angle that the edge of the nose of some bullets is laying right across the middle of the primer of the cartridge ahead of it.

With extreme loads you sometimes get a 'dent' from the edge of the nose of that bullet across the primer. A few have been set off. That's why Buffalo Bore uses a Small Rifle primer in it's Magnum 45-70 loads .. to avoid that scenerio. I have seen the marks a few times in the past, but not with Buffalo Bore's stuff.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That's why Buffalo Bore uses a Small Rifle primer in it's Magnum 45-70 loads .. to avoid that scenerio. I have seen the marks a few times in the past, but not with Buffalo Bore's stuff.[/quote]

How do they do that, Jim, make their own brass with smaller primer pockets?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I don't know who makes their brass for them. Sorry.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Load them mild if you are concerned, but I'd use them. I can't see a .32-20 WCF setting off the round in front of it unless the bullet was hard and pointy! :shock:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Agreed .. you will not have problems with the roundnose in the 32-20. The little Lee 95 gr. RN cast bullet has been run through mine for many a year. Nary a problem.
jeepmann1
Levergunner

Post by jeepmann1 »

Hi
New guy here. I have read where paco grinds down the tips on spitzer bullets for use in levers. Any clue how he does this so as to be consistant with the amount removed ?
thanks