Laid Off? Need work? Post it here and lets network!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Laid Off? Need work? Post it here and lets network!

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Check this: UPS is hiring - avg annual pay $74,000 - not bad. I know their benefits are great too...

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/ar ... leadership
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

So, no posts since April - does this mean that everybody here is gainfully employed? Did anyone find a job with UPS? I was thinking of looking in Montanta maybe and applying with them there :D Why not?

Seems to me that if the price of gas goes up again, that more people will rely on UPS to bring them stuff that they shop for on-line...?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

WY DOC is still woefully understaffed in Rawlins & Torrington... and I could use some Levergunners here...

http://doc.state.wy.us/careers/correcti ... urity.html
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Still not employed, but have 1 excellent prospect and 2 so-so prospects to talk with next week. I'm due for a break! My comatch on the insurance expired this month. The insurance went from $172.00 to $424.00 per month for me, a single male. :shock:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, best of luck on that! And yes, insurance is expensive. Just thank the trial lawyers and people on the dole for that!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Well, best of luck on that! And yes, insurance is expensive. Just thank the trial lawyers and people on the dole for that!
+1 on both counts!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,
I cant say about all the different States ya all live in,but up here Truck Driver's are becoming where it is at for those needing a job.In fact there are even Training incentives which will pay the training.(also they actually pay you while in school)
The average driver is getting around $20@hr and I am talking Local Drivers.
If I was looking for a job and my field was not in high demenad(I would get a TT drivers license)
One guy I talked to drives a water tanker 9hrs(has .5hr lunch) a day(5 days a week)with average distance each trip of 21 miles for a Natural Gas Exploration Corp.He said he is in a cool nice leather seated AC ride and compared to other jobs he has had,its a good deal??He is 54 years old!Been driving 11 months.
He said he grosses $1k@week w/ Medical,Dental,Vision/401K plan/Vacation/Accumalated sick days etc.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I can't even get a call back from the temp agency. I also got three rejection letters last week.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jason_W wrote:I can't even get a call back from the temp agency. I also got three rejection letters last week.
Come, come to the Dark Side... Unless you absolutely can't stand the idea of woring in Wyoming...

(Please, I need the help...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Jason_W wrote:I can't even get a call back from the temp agency. I also got three rejection letters last week.
Come, come to the Dark Side... Unless you absolutely can't stand the idea of woring in Wyoming...

I don't think I'm tough enough to work in corrections. For a firearms enthusiast, I'm a bit of a softy. :D

Besides, the move from Vermont to Maine drained most of our remaining resources. We're here for a while regardless of whether or not we can get jobs soon.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

My wife and I are wondering what states we should be looking at. This move to Maine really isn't working out and we're both on our last few weeks of unemployment. I've applied for well over 100 jobs since January which resulted in only 3 interviews.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Been without steady work since Feb of 09, so thats 16 months now, pick up some part time now and then but nothing steady. OI, I love Wy but at 57 I'm too old for that gig. Been thinking of trucking, but really don't think I'd like it, and I ain't gonna team. Nobody out there I trust to drive while I try to sleep.

May go back into the bow building business, longbows and recurves, I did that for 5 years back in the late 80s and early 90s. I'll put my bows up against anybodys, just got to figure how to market them.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Just a suggestion: Any of you CDL drivers that can drive anything, why not consider tankers? Many times a local oil company has work up the rear end, and need a transport driver that is dependable and will work long hours. I drove fuel wagons 42 years, never saw a poor day, tankers don't work 8 till 4:30. You can dump loads anywhere around the clock, and many outfits double shift the truck or work you 16 hours a day. Hook up a hose and it unloads itself. If you're a good driver, you may want to change to tankers if possible.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
kdsnodgrass
Levergunner

Post by kdsnodgrass »

Old Ironsights wrote: Come, come to the Dark Side... Unless you absolutely can't stand the idea of woring in Wyoming...

I'd LOVE to move to Wyoming! Not sure about that kind of work though... Any computer jobs (*nix sysadmin) out there?

The new guy...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Jason,
Mind if I ask how old you are?
Are you presntly in good health and able to work physical work or maybe security type work/?
Also getting the CDL like stated above and driving tankers(specifically water tankers)would do also.
Pennsylvania is darn hard to beat,there are tons of jobs going on with all the Natural Gas Drilling.
Give Chesapeak or Fortuna,a call and talk to them.(Really just call em.)
Once you have a CDL you really can go just about anywhere.
Also Old Ironsights type work might do you also? And dont say you arent tough enough either!
Now, Is your wife going to work also?
There are many big Hospitals around these parts and they are looking for Administrative
Assistant help and they generally pay around $11.50 to $17.00 an hour with good benefits?
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

madman4570 wrote:Jason,
Mind if I ask how old you are?
Are you presntly in good health and able to work physical work or maybe security type work/?
Also getting the CDL like stated above and driving tankers(specifically water tankers)would do also.
Pennsylvania is darn hard to beat,there are tons of jobs going on with all the Natural Gas Drilling.
Give Chesapeak or Fortuna,a call and talk to them.(Really just call em.)
Once you have a CDL you really can go just about anywhere.
Also Old Ironsights type work might do you also? And dont say you arent tough enough either!
Now, Is your wife going to work also?
There are many big Hospitals around these parts and they are looking for Administrative
Assistant help and they generally pay around $11.50 to $17.00 an hour with good benefits?
Actually, the state of Maine just put out a bunch of ads to recruit correctional workers. I'm going to send off my application Monday and see where it goes.

I figure I'll first see if I qualify, and then decide if I can handle such a job. As I said before, I'm not really a tough or mean guy, so I worry I'd be eaten alive. The starting pay is pretty good considering the times.
jb980
Levergunner

Post by jb980 »

About 2.5 years ago I got into corrections at the local county jail, because construction was getting slow and my dad and me were having a hard time keeping our small excavation company busy. I'm glad I took the job now because pretty much everybody has been out of work for the last year and a half. Since I've been in corrections I've noticed that the guys who get into the job for the fun of violence end up hurt or jobless, because it so easy to get sued. It helps to be able to stand your own when you start but alot of facilities will provide training and/or weapons to give you the edge.

Just remember you don't really have to be tough and mean, just smart with back bone. Stand your ground, dont get bullied or talk about where you live or your family when you around any inmates. Be smart about it, if you work the job long enough they will find out most things about you, but you don't have to help them out by giving the information to them personally.

Also the main thing to remember in corrections is that lying to the inmates will get you nowhere. If you tell them you will do something , do it, and don't make threats, make promises.

Corrections isn't a bad job, just a stressful one. But it does have opportunities for advancement, benefits, and excitement. Plus it is easier to get on at other agencies and departments when you already have experience.

Good luck with the job hunt. Corrections is a good place to look for a job because there is a high turn over rate for officers because of the stress, but if you can handle it, its an easy job that can give you alot of free time. I work 12 hour shifts 2 days on 2 days off, and another department close to here works 5,8 hours shifts then get 4 days off.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jb980 wrote:About 2.5 years ago I got into corrections at the local county jail, because construction was getting slow and my dad and me were having a hard time keeping our small excavation company busy. I'm glad I took the job now because pretty much everybody has been out of work for the last year and a half. Since I've been in corrections I've noticed that the guys who get into the job for the fun of violence end up hurt or jobless, because it so easy to get sued. It helps to be able to stand your own when you start but alot of facilities will provide training and/or weapons to give you the edge.

Just remember you don't really have to be tough and mean, just smart with back bone. Stand your ground, dont get bullied or talk about where you live or your family when you around any inmates. Be smart about it, if you work the job long enough they will find out most things about you, but you don't have to help them out by giving the information to them personally.

Also the main thing to remember in corrections is that lying to the inmates will get you nowhere. If you tell them you will do something , do it, and don't make threats, make promises.

Corrections isn't a bad job, just a stressful one. But it does have opportunities for advancement, benefits, and excitement. Plus it is easier to get on at other agencies and departments when you already have experience.

Good luck with the job hunt. Corrections is a good place to look for a job because there is a high turn over rate for officers because of the stress, but if you can handle it, its an easy job that can give you alot of free time. I work 12 hour shifts 2 days on 2 days off, and another department close to here works 5,8 hours shifts then get 4 days off.
Well said. Particularly the highlighted. All things I believe and practice in my Corrections Job.

My biggest beef with Corrections is that (in my experience) is definately a "good-'ol-boy" job when it comes to promotions, and a lot of idiots get "kicked upstairs" and start wearing brass, but that's to be expected in ANY Gooberment Job...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jb980
Levergunner

Post by jb980 »

Ain't that the truth!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Eastern Montana is hiring oil field workers; truck drivers, equip operators, welders, plumbers, electricians just about any job you can think of. danny
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've been seeing on the news latelty that the unemployment rate is going down.... so I guess everybody's getting back to work then? OR is it that the 99 weeks are ending? At some point, that has to start happening and the rates "fall" as a result.

I somehow doubt that employment has picked up when nothing else has.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Things are still bad here in Arizona.

Dave B
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I spent close to 6 months looking for above minimum wage work here in TX. Finally found a job. If you're willing to work like a slave and seldom see your house, there's always selling cars. It's a good job except for the hours you put in, and it can be just as ethical a business as anything else. If you're good with people you can make a pretty good living, too. Of course you don't have much time to spend the money you make, but if your wife is like mine she can do a pretty good job of that for you :wink:

Good luck to everyone still looking. I've been there and I know how bad it sucks and how tight things can get.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Gillette Wyoming has alot of driving, mining, const. and gas field jobs right now.
http://gnr.adqic.com/finder/list.html?i ... _&limit=50
https://www.wyomingatwork.com/
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I've been seeing on the news latelty that the unemployment rate is going down.... so I guess everybody's getting back to work then? OR is it that the 99 weeks are ending? At some point, that has to start happening and the rates "fall" as a result.

That is absolutely not how they compute the unemployment numbers. It is a survey and has NOTHING to do with unemployment benefits whatsoever.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

K1500 wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:I've been seeing on the news latelty that the unemployment rate is going down.... so I guess everybody's getting back to work then? OR is it that the 99 weeks are ending? At some point, that has to start happening and the rates "fall" as a result.

That is absolutely not how they compute the unemployment numbers. It is a survey and has NOTHING to do with unemployment benefits whatsoever.
I just heard a referrence to the unemployment reporting on Fox News - something about poeple just giving up and not looking for a job not being factored in.

So this is a survey? How does that work? Do you have the specifics? I like to know what the real deal is. Thanks.

And I saw not long ago that UPS is once again hiring for the holidays - and I know from previous years that they do use this as an opportunity to fill full time vacancies when available.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
K1500 wrote:

I just heard a referrence to the unemployment reporting on Fox News - something about poeple just giving up and not looking for a job not being factored in.

So this is a survey? How does that work? Do you have the specifics? I like to know what the real deal is. Thanks.

And I saw not long ago that UPS is once again hiring for the holidays - and I know from previous years that they do use this as an opportunity to fill fxwull time vacancies when available.
Yes they are called discouraged workers. In the survey they classify each person in one of three ways.

1. You have a job and are classified as EMPLOYED.
2. You do not have a job but are or have been actively looking for one in the past month. You are UNEMPLOYED.
3. You do not have a job and are not or have not looked for one in the past month. You are NOT IN THE LABOR FORCE.

The LABOR FORCE is the UNEMPLOYED plus the EMPLOYED.

The unemployment rate is calculated by dividing the UNEMPLOYED by the LABOR FORCE.

Notice, if you say I don't have an job and I have given up looking because the economy stinks, you are not in the labor force. That is one reason the unemployment rate may understate the true level of economic suffering. These folks are called DISCOURAGED WORKERS.

In addition, suppose you lost your job and took a part time gig at McDonalds while you look for something better. You are counted as employed, even though you are not earning your previous salary. You would probably consider yourself UNDEREMPLOYED.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Expanding your horizons in the job search market

Post by pricedo »

Coldfingers wrote:Tanker Yankers with winter and mountain expereince who would wish to relocate for a while will find themselves in demand here in the Arctic. The pay is remarkably good right now. The fuel haul to Prudhoe is pulling drivers from the general freight pool so that market is opening up also. Good place to start to get experience on "the road" (necessary to get pinned to a tanker with most companies servicing the North Slope)

God's Grace to all as things unfold.

Scotty
Any of you guys & gals that are dualies (citizens of both Canada & the USA) don't forget your other country of citizenship in your job search.

If you have a claim on citizenship due to 1 or more parents being Canadian &/or American as the case might be exercise that claim to expand your job search opportunities accordingly.

There is a lot of work in Alberta, Canada right now especially for skilled tradesmen, drivers, heavy equipment operators.

Sometimes you need to do what you've need to do & go where you need to go to pay bills and feed & clothe your family.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
magyars
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars »

Merry Christmas to all!

Looking for work in East Central Indiana.
Have Telecommunications experience as well as Customer service, Sales & Managment.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Jason_W wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

I don't think I'm tough enough to work in corrections. For a firearms enthusiast, I'm a bit of a softy. :D

Besides, the move from Vermont to Maine drained most of our remaining resources. We're here for a while regardless of whether or not we can get jobs soon.
Hunger & your kids asking why they can't have things like other kids do (like a college fund) makes a man consider options that would be "no way!" when times were good.

If you're still being "picky" & saying "no way!" to opportunities you haven't hit bottom yet.

Like the old saying goes, "Beggars can't be choosers".

There are no "softies" standing in the mile long, all day line-up at the food bank.

When the ole tummy starts talking back to you, you'll do what you gotta do.

Bin there, dun that.

I know whereof I speak.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sometimes though, a man has to know when to say NO. I made that mistake with the Prison. I'd like ti think I was a competent, effecrive Medical Transportation Officer... but I am not, and never will be, the kind of abusive jackboot they wanted me to be. If you are looking for Mall Ninjas, Corrections has a bunch... and they are as likely to be Brass as CO...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Old Ironsights wrote:Sometimes though, a man has to know when to say NO. I made that mistake with the Prison. I'd like ti think I was a competent, effecrive Medical Transportation Officer... but I am not, and never will be, the kind of abusive jackboot they wanted me to be. If you are looking for Mall Ninjas, Corrections has a bunch... and they are as likely to be Brass as CO...
It's a safe assumption that a typical correctional institution isn't Miss Merryweather's Finishing School and some of the inmates don't respond well to the word "please" when you tell them what to do unless it's backed up by a little boot leather.

Wistful Wallflowers & those on the timid side probably don't make good prison guards.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

pricedo wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Sometimes though, a man has to know when to say NO. I made that mistake with the Prison. I'd like ti think I was a competent, effecrive Medical Transportation Officer... but I am not, and never will be, the kind of abusive jackboot they wanted me to be. If you are looking for Mall Ninjas, Corrections has a bunch... and they are as likely to be Brass as CO...
It's a safe assumption that a typical correctional institution isn't Miss Merryweather's Finishing School and some of the inmates don't respond well to the word "please" when you tell them what to do unless it's backed up by a little boot leather.

Wistful Wallflowers & those on the timid side probably don't make good prison guards.
True, but there is a difference, and a viable "middle road" between being someone who STARTS confrontations at every possible opportunity and a "wistful wallflower".

When your only tool is a hammer, you think the whole world is nails that want to be pounded. One of the fastest ways to get hurt inside is during a cell extraction, but most of these goons enjoy "suiting up" and will agitate the cons so they get to. :roll: Funny, on two separate occasions while the heroes were getting all psyched up to kick in a cell door ans spray OC, I convinced the con to hook up and come out voluntarily.

I personally never had a single attitude or action problem with any inmate I interacted with. No grievances, nothing. All an inmate needs to know is that you mean what you say. You don't have to be a puffed-up popinjay/mall ninja to get that point across.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
pricedo wrote:

True, but there is a difference, and a viable "middle road" between being someone who STARTS confrontations at every possible opportunity and a "wistful wallflower".

When your only tool is a hammer, you think the whole world is nails that want to be pounded. One of the fastest ways to get hurt inside is during a cell extraction, but most of these goons enjoy "suiting up" and will agitate the cons so they get to. :roll: Funny, on two separate occasions while the heroes were getting all psyched up to kick in a cell door ans spray OC, I convinced the con to hook up and come out voluntarily.

I personally never had a single attitude or action problem with any inmate I interacted with. No grievances, nothing. All an inmate needs to know is that you mean what you say. You don't have to be a puffed-up popinjay/mall ninja to get that point across.

Are you still doing that job ?
Sounds like you are no longer there doing that type work??
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

madman4570 wrote:...Are you still doing that job ?
Sounds like you are no longer there doing that type work??
No, while I wouldn't mind to still be "doing that type of work", I won't do it around those type of people... and I don't mean the Inmates.

From creepy Majors who liked to give unannounced shoulder rubs to hyper aggressive mall ninja bullies who rile up the inmates because they have backup (of both the Brass and their mall ninja buddies) I couldn't stomach them any longer.

Which is really too bad. The cons will get out eventually and they need better role models than they get from the "hug-a-thug" counseling staff and the "beat down blue wave". But those of us who tried to keep it real have either quit or been driven out in disgust.

So now I'm working in a much more physically and psychologically healthy environment... I clean and paint dumpsters for a waste management company. Great use for a degree eh?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Wow :shock:
Gotta respect ya for keeping it real!
Have a feeling you will do well and if you can sleep at night now you are doing better already than there.
Good luck friend :wink:
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

I do automotive restorations here on the east coast-mid-atlantic. car repairs too. 25/hr plus parts. see what your local shop charges...

i could use a few more customers.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/plstktnkr2
See pics of the green chevy my current (but slow paying) customer's car

Rick

PS: I am also qualified to build/rebuild computers, manage small networks/net ADMIN, build motorcycles, commercial / planning models, have done light machining, fabrication, and I build engines, all types, gas or diesel, mild to wild.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Just saw this on yahoo: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/100-000-f ... 00750.html

"What's uncool about a $100,000 factory job? These days not much. In fact, factory jobs -- once considered back-breaking and low-paying -- have become high-tech and high-salaried.

Still young people don't get it, say factory owners, who can't find enough skilled workers.

"When I was an apprentice in the late '70s, kids were dying to get into manufacturing. There were plenty of factory jobs," said Joe Sedlak, a machinist who owns the Chesapeake Machine Company in Baltimore. "There are jobs for the taking today. But kids don't want them.""

-----------------
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Just saw this on yahoo: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/100-000-f ... 00750.html

"What's uncool about a $100,000 factory job? These days not much. In fact, factory jobs -- once considered back-breaking and low-paying -- have become high-tech and high-salaried.

Still young people don't get it, say factory owners, who can't find enough skilled workers.

"When I was an apprentice in the late '70s, kids were dying to get into manufacturing. There were plenty of factory jobs," said Joe Sedlak, a machinist who owns the Chesapeake Machine Company in Baltimore. "There are jobs for the taking today. But kids don't want them.""

-----------------
Another benefit about a factory, or better put, manufacturing job, is that by definition the work must be done at the factory. For most people I know working these jobs, other than sme shift work, or being on call, and a little bit of job training and such, their off hours are truly their own. The value of this should not be underestimated! I just wrapped up a 17 hour day. This is more the norm than the exception for me - especially lately.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:Just saw this on yahoo: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/100-000-f ... 00750.html

-----------------
Another benefit about a factory, or better put, manufacturing job, is that by definition the work must be done at the factory. For most people I know working these jobs, other than sme shift work, or being on call, and a little bit of job training and such, their off hours are truly their own. The value of this should not be underestimated! I just wrapped up a 17 hour day. This is more the norm than the exception for me - especially lately.
And the drawback is that you (generally) have to live in an urban zone to work in a manufacturing position that that pays well...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:

-----------------
And the drawback is that you (generally) have to live in an urban zone to work in a manufacturing position that that pays well...
Not always - Toyota is building a new plant near Starkville, MS - not exactly what I'd call an "urban zone"... :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:

-----------------
Not always - Toyota is building a new plant near Starkville, MS - not exactly what I'd call an "urban zone"... :)
Same with the BMW plant near Spartanburg, SC. It's been there almost a decade, I think. Nice rural area around it, and very good-paying manufacturing jobs.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

There have been more jobs openings on Career Builder and Craigslist recently in the Phoenix area for anyone who is interested.

Dave B
GeezerD
Levergunner

Post by GeezerD »

I am one of the unemployed that has stopped looking. Originally laid off from the automotive/aerospace industry after 36 yrs. as a toolmaker/moldmaker in 2005 at age 55. I just finally got tired of being hung up on and having doors slammed in my face.

I went back to college in late 2009 and just recently graduated with a certificate in Wind Turbine Technology at age 62.
Unfortunatly most of the manufacturing jobs are overseas. My unemployment/TRA benefits ran out May 1, So I have signed
up for social security.

I am also a gunsmith with 35 years experience and have been doing a bit of that to take up the slack. After many years of being in
this rat race it appears that the rats have won. --------------------- Good Luck All, GeezerD
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I am seeing more housing and commercial trade job adds lately in Phoenix. Things are improving, but very slowly.
I've had a few interviews, but haven't landed anything yet.
I wish all of you that are looking the best of luck.

Dave B
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

GeezerD wrote:I am one of the unemployed that has stopped looking. Originally laid off from the automotive/aerospace industry after 36 yrs. as a toolmaker/moldmaker in 2005 at age 55. I just finally got tired of being hung up on and having doors slammed in my face.

I went back to college in late 2009 and just recently graduated with a certificate in Wind Turbine Technology at age 62.
Unfortunatly most of the manufacturing jobs are overseas. My unemployment/TRA benefits ran out May 1, So I have signed
up for social security.

I am also a gunsmith with 35 years experience and have been doing a bit of that to take up the slack. After many years of being in
this rat race it appears that the rats have won. --------------------- Good Luck All, GeezerD
Geezer, ya kinda hit the alternative energy market at the wrong time...our products are on 67% of the wind generators world wide, and now that the subsidy for wind power are going away, they can not compete against more conventional methods of energy producing methods.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If anybody knows of any colleges looking for a History teacher, please post or PM DixieBoy! He's looking for such - in Texas in particular or similar "American" state - no commie states. (my editorial) :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've sent this info privately to a couple of folks, but it should probably be listed here.

I was recently called by Schwans Corp to interview for a Route Sales Representative. I'm 95% sure I've got the job.

For those not familiar with Schwans, they are a Frozen Food home delivery service that started about 50 years ago delivering ice cream to rural Minnesota.

They now own Freschetta Pizza, among other lines.

Anyway, as an RSR you can make high 5, low 6 figure income just delivering frozen food to willing/active clients.

Honestly, it's not hard to pull in $45K+ ... though the hours are longinsh.

See if you have a Depot/Openings in your area.

http://www.schwansjobs.com/opportunities.htm
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

There seems to be more hiring taking place in the Phoenix Metro area.

Dave B
Last edited by Dave B on Sun May 12, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

I loved my factory job in the 70''s and the 80's. Was making $20,000 a year plus good benefits, health insurance that people would kill for nowadays and retirement plus had worked myself up to three weeks vacation with four weeks pay. Short story after 14 years company gets bought out, close plant and send the employees out on the street. At least I was vested in my pension which I now get $169.00 a month. At least I got off better than my kid's will when they reach my age. And now I worry about what kind of future my two grandchildren will face.