Turnbull's Big Bore Classics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Packmule

Turnbull's Big Bore Classics

Post by Packmule »

Anyone on here every had one? I been talking to them and debating on forking over the cash this spring for one and just wanting to see if anyone has shot one or any comments. They are about $3000 for a plain one in the new 475trunbull .Thanks
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trunbull's Big Bore Classics

Post by Modoc ED »

If you want to spend that kind of money, check out the March 2008, No.236 (March - April 2008, Volume 40, Number 2) issue of Rifle Magazine. There is a very good artical on the .475 Turnbull in the magazine.

There is also a very good article on "Winchester's Last Three Leverguns" in the magazine too -- Model 1892; Model 1894; Model 1895 .
ED
Yer never too old
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

IMO, they are no way worth the money. You will have a hard time recouping the investment if it came time to sell. The .475 will do nothing that the .45-70 can't. Call me crazy, but it just does not appeal to me.
I would much rather put my money into a nice original 1886, something that will fare well in the long run.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Thanks guy just had to ask.......I have been tetering over this one and I could get a really nice 1886 or a decent 1895 for that much thanks for the reality check. :D
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Packmule if you want a big bore rifle I'de go for a 45-70 got to be in the top five cartridges ever made, you can pick up a good Browning SRC for about a third of that, or if you want a rifle Cabela's have some new type Winchester 86's in 45-70, plus a number of original 86's for between two and four grand, if it were me and I was hunting dangerous game I would try and get a newer type Browning, wouldn't be good to have ole griz 40 yards away and the old 86 misfire. Good luck buddy and hope we are going to get pictures when you get it.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Talk to Rimfire Mcnutjob...
He's the only guy I know that has a Turnball
I agree with winchester1886 and go with a more common round
for reloading.....dies and components
check out the following site and check out the Turnball section
http://www.gunsinternational.com/

I sure would love to have one!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm with Mike on this! An original 1886 or any other big bore rifle will be money much better spent, as you can enjoy it, and in 5 yrs or 25 yrs, sell it for a good profit, if you tire of it. Better than money in the bank, (especially today!)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Packmule wrote:Anyone on here every had one? I been talking to them and debating on forking over the cash this spring for one and just wanting to see if anyone has shot one or any comments. They are about $3000 for a plain one in the new 475trunbull .Thanks
You're getting lucky in your old age. My friend Jimmy Harrison of Double H Custom Hat Co. took delivery of a USRAC/Winchester M1886 rifle in 475 Turnbull within the last 30 days. Another friend saw Jimmy's and sent his to Mr. Turnbull for the same treatment. I'll be shooting the rifle with Jimmy this Friday afternoon.

It was rebored from 45-70. Mr. Turnbull installed a Marble's tang sight, covering and concealing the tang safety. The sight does not interfere with manipulating the hammer, nor does it recoil into spectacles or eyebrow. These facts surprised the heck out of me. And the sight is a joy to use, especially for quickness of target acquisition. Jimmy kept the OEM rear sight in place to allow him to shoot were the tang sight folded down.

Surprisingly, 475 Turnbull 400-grain factory ammunition does not have disagreeable recoil. Jimmy is about 68 inches and 160 pounds. I am 68 inches and 140 pounds.
To my thinking the advantage the 475 Turnbull offers to western Montana hunters is improved range -- that is, Jimmy's effective range has increased perhaps 50 yards from the 45-90 he had been using. Well, maybe he might not have had the narrow escape from his grizzly had he been using his 475 Turnbull. With the 45-90 he took three shots, the last being of similar range to what killed the shark in "Jaws."
Jimmy's cost was $900.00 plus sight plus shipping. You'll receive more artistry for $3000.00.

Hope this helps.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

+2 on Mikes D's comment.

OR....I have a Turnbull Browning 1886 SRC in 45-70 that I got for a little over half of what you're planning to spend. One compelling reason to get a Turnbull is the fantastic case coloring. Their rifles are stunning once in hand. Here's my SRC:
Chad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

71fan wrote:+2 on Mikes D's comment.

OR....I have a Turnbull Browning 1886 SRC in 45-70 that I got for a little over half of what you're planning to spend. One compelling reason to get a Turnbull is the fantastic case coloring. Their rifles are stunning once in hand. Here's my SRC:
And you better keep that gun!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Turnbull's Big Bore Classics

Post by foxtrapper »

Yep the "NEW" 475 Turnbull is a good cartridge when it was devolved years ago by Gary Reeder as the 476GNR :shock:
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
I have a Turnbull Big Bore, Browning M71 turned into a 50-110. I have to agree that they are pricey but the work is second to none. The amount of money you pay will never most likely be recovered if you ever sell it, but that is not what I got it for nor did it become a factor in what I wanted. If return on your investment is a consideration, commonly found ammunition, a 45-70 in a good 1886 is the way to go and it will stop a charging train with nothing but water, snot :mrgreen: , leaking on you boots; if it gets that close.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I have a custom rifle from Turnbull but got it quite a while before he started doing the 475 Turnbull. Mine is a tad more custom than what many probably prefer but I like it. It shoots well and the craftsmanship is outstanding. Mine is a two barrel take-down 71 in 348 WCF and 450 Alaskan. I will probably send it back in a few months to get a third barrel added. I'm not really concerned about the resale value because I'm not going to be selling it. The rifle will go to my eldest son when I kick off.

As mine is a 71, I have no experience with how they would handle the tang safety issue on recent Winchester conversions. I suppose you could cover it with a tang sight but I would prefer to have it TIG welded up and then case colored.

I think the 475 Turnbull was Doug's run at coming up with a cartridge that produced all of the numbers touted as required for taking African dangerous game. You know ... Sectional Density, Energy, Taylor Knockdown Value, etc. If you're looking to cover all of those attributes in a lever gun, the 475 caliber using the fatter 50-110 parent case fills the bill nicely. Though you can also certainly kill anything over there with a 50-110 or 45-90, his 475 kind of lands in a ballistic sweet spot. In the article in Rifle magazine, it's mentioned that his cartridge picks up where the experimental 46 WCF left off long ago.

Pictures of my rifle are up here. Please don't post to that thread though because I'll take a razzing if the thing pops up again on the first page because someone comments on it. These guys are merciless.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

What a rifle I will have to save up for one,mine would not be so pretty. I was thinking the bead blasted finish on a Browning action in a carbine with a 16" to 18" barreled pig smasher...... They say they always have browning actions floating around.And alot of good points have been made about resale but I wouldn't sell it either it would go my son. I have a pleatera of other rifles I could sell if I had to thanks guys and again WOW! On your rifle
Rimfire McNutjob that is a beautful rifle thanks for sharing it again. Thanks Pack :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man!, I gotta get in the action too! :D Mike D & MM93 are on the right wavelength. Personally, DT has some mighty nice stuff, but like Mike D, says, "Try to recoup when its time to sell." Ain't gonna happen-------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Is this an appropriate time to mention I have a Browning M71 in the Classifieds, and a USRAC/Winchester 45-70 not yeat listed?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

by Naphtali on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Is this an appropriate time to mention I have a Browning M71 in the Classifieds, and a USRAC/Winchester 45-70 not yeat listed?
P.M. SENT
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

hard to imagine any game on the planent not dropping to the 45-70 gov., considering the buffaloe and corbon loads, combined with what a handloader can do. easier to find the 45-70 at whatever mart. never saw the 475 for sale at any retailer.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

I like the idea of the 475, but my feeling is that as a pig gun the 45-70 is everything you could ever need. For Africa, and what Turnbull designed his for, I would far rather have the 50 Alaskan, or 50-110. I know that the Alaskan doesn't actually make the ballistic package the dangerous game guys like to talk about, but I still think it is a way better choice, unless trajectory was the issue.
Base Pin Maker
Levergunner

Post by Base Pin Maker »

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, I have a Ruger #1 in 475 Turnbull for sale. PM if interested. Kelye @ Belt Mtn
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Packmule,
Turnbull makes beautiful rifles and their restoration work is real art. The replies above cover the full range of yes and no advice. It is your$$ to spend your way, but if what you want is just a big bore 1886 to slay big and dangerous critters , then a Miroku Winchester 1886 in .45-70 or .45-90 (also shoots .45-70) will fill the bill.

My Miroku Winchester is a rather plain .45-90 that pushes a 450 grain bullet to 2150 fps and has taken some BIG and dangerous game with that load, which by the way, exceeds the published ME of the Turnbull .475. They are fun to shoot off hand in an nine pound rifle but not so much fun from a bench rest. Such full house loads far exceed the recoil of most factory .45-70 ammo which will take any critter in NA. With the right bullets, the .45-70 , .45-90, and T .475 will take any animal anywhere.

So, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Any new big bore should be much fun.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

If you are going to be in the Dallas area on the 15-18 Jan, Turnbull is usually at the Dallas Safari Club convention. his stuff is beautiful. Bob is very approachable and will talk you into buying his rifle real quick. Biggame.org
- Brian
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

BrianSH
I will be working the Dallas Woods and Waters booth then, so stop by and say hello.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

crs wrote:BrianSH
I will be working the Dallas Woods and Waters booth then, so stop by and say hello.
Saturday is the day I usually get up there, looking forward to seeing you again. - Brian
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Wow, you fellas must be financially well off to be spending that kind of money. I was fortunate to find one of the rare Rossi Puma in 480 Ruger back when they were cheap. I spent a couple of hours slicking it up and it's now smooth as glass. I cast my own gas check 390 grain leads using a six cavity Ranch Dog mold and I have about 500 rounds hand loaded now. Using my 480R, I've taken a nice black bear and a few deer to date. The 480 Ruger slug traveled close to five feet through the bear, breaking the front right shoulder and the left rear hip. The bear was DRT with a single shot. Though there are more powerful cartridges available, I'm pretty sure no round could have killed my bear faster and my Rossi 480R is easy to carry all day.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

You might also consider picking a rifle up and sending it to someone like Mike Hunter to have it CCH.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

Trailboss wrote:Wow, you fellas must be financially well off to be spending that kind of money
well that can work a few different ways. 1) I'm not financially well off because I spent all my money on fancy rifles :D 2) I save money like Scrooge for years to afford fancy rifles 3) I chose a lucrative profession 4) I won the DNA lottery and was born into a wealthy family
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Trailboss wrote:Wow, you fellas must be financially well off to be spending that kind of money....
If God didn't want me to have nice guns, I would have been born in a 3rd world country and there wouldn't be credit cards.

BTW, I ate pinto beans and cornbread for supper tonight :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have 3 rifles from them. A Marlin Cowboy 50 Alaskan, a 92 deluxe takedown in 44-40 and an 1886 with 36 inch barrel, shotgun butt in .50-110. Best lever guns on the market and worth the money in my opinion. They will build what you want, how you want it. http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 2bf6d5.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... be01b9.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 10-1-1.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0ak001.jpg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

457121 wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:24 pm
Trailboss wrote:Wow, you fellas must be financially well off to be spending that kind of money
well that can work a few different ways. 1) I'm not financially well off because I spent all my money on fancy rifles :D 2) I save money like Scrooge for years to afford fancy rifles 3) I chose a lucrative profession 4) I won the DNA lottery and was born into a wealthy family
I figure the total amount I spent on "guns" is about what I'd have spent if I bought one really nice sports-car like a Corvette or high-end Mustang, so I feel NO guilt. Plus what I have will likely be something my great-grandkids can use or sell - doubt the same would be true for most automobiles - even 'classics' either become 'garage queens' or worn-out.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hey Doc,

You do realize that you posted to a 3 year old thread. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've always hunted with high-grade rifles - IME, it's very pleasant, during those times when game isn't moving, to have something beautiful to look at & fondle.

They've been well worth the $$ to me - although YMMV.

IIRC, I was very recently (within the past 2 weeks) reading about a relatively in-expensive version of the 1886/85 that Doug Turnbull was turning out.

It might be worth calling & speaking to someone there about your needs/wants, but one of Naphtali's rifles might be the way to go for you.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon May 29, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jdad wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:17 pm Hey Doc,

You do realize that you posted to a 3 year old thread. :wink:
Heck - 'old threads' on the Leverguns Forum are way more interesting on a rainy weekend than anything else on the net...!

....now I gotta look around the other posts, and see if Packmule got him a fancy shootin' iron....

Keeps me off the streets (...and from doin' chores...) :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Deleted

Redundant
Last edited by Naphtali on Wed May 31, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Everybody has the right to spend their money on what they want . And I truly believe that .

However ...................................................... ,

Before I dropped whatever amount that guy wants for his stuff , I'd go looking for originals .

And my reasoning goes back to what a couple others have already stated .

When it comes time to liquidate with an original in decent shape you have a pretty good chance of getting back your money with an outside chance of making a few bucks . But with one of these so called RECREATIONS you're gonna loose your backside when you go to sell it .

Plus I just plain prefer old ORIGINAL stuff over reproductions/recreations .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !