J Miller's Cerrosafe Follies, Part's 1, 2 & 3 "SUCCESS"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

J Miller's Cerrosafe Follies, Part's 1, 2 & 3 "SUCCESS"

Post by J Miller »

J Millers Cerrosafe Follies

PART ONE
To review the story just in case someone might have missed it, I have a 1950 vintage Win 94 with probably an over sized chamber.
It’s been splitting cases since I got it and we need to find out why. We discussed it here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30839 and a couple other times too.
I also asked questions via the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31013
as well as from a couple forum members via email and PMs.

Thursday:
Well, attempt #1 to do a chamber cast was an absolute failure.

I used a cat food can and pinched it really good even before Don suggested it.
Put it in a pot of water and got the Cerrosafe melted post haste.
Then I tried to pour the Cerrosafe into the chamber with the can. Unfortunately there isn't enough of a funnel effect to get past the receiver walls to pour it into the chamber.
I tried dipping a 444 marlin case into the stuff but there just isn't enough volume in the can to fill the case. Then I tried pouring the metal into the case and that worked, but by the time I got it to the chamber it had started to solidify.
Tried heating the case and that didn't help much.

What would work is a metal cream separator cup. I've got one made from plastic and it has a really long funnel that would work great, if it were metal.

Back to the drawing board.

Thursday evening:
Attempt #2 was a disaster.
I pinched the can more to make a longer narrower funnel and that worked.
Only thing was I couldn’t really see what I was doing so I got the new longer narrower funnel in too far and poured the Cerrosafe down into the action. Locked it up solid.
That is my fault because I didn’t listen to Steve Young’s advice. He said to remove the bolt, I didn’t. By this time it was late in the evening and my BP meds were hitting so I had to call it quits. Get back to it in the morning.

PART TWO
Friday Morning:
I got every thing set up in the basement where I had more room to maneuver. Got most of the action out of the rifle and set it in my gun vise. Because of the blob I couldn’t close the bolt so I couldn’t remove the lever pin and remove those parts. Then I cranked up the propane torch and carefully melted the blob inside the receiver out.
I tried to tap the Cerrosafe in the chamber out with my cleaning rod, but it would not budge.

When my wife got home we attacked it again. I unscrewed the forearm band screw and slid the forearm and band out of the way. I tried to warm it with her hair dryer, but it wasn’t hot enough. Then I fired up the propane torch again and gently heated the breach area till the Cerrosafe softened.
As I did this my wife was tapping on the cleaning rod to push it out.
One of the problems with it sticking was I got my plug too far from the chamber. I had about 2” of Cerrosafe into the rifling. That didn’t help much.
It’s out now. What a bloody fiasco. I’ve done some pretty difficult things in my time, but this simple task turned into an almost nightmare.

Now I need to really clean the innards to the rifle to get the small specks out. And I’ve got to fabricate or buy a tool. I found out the cartridge guides are loose. And of course this being a pre-64 they tighten from the inside.

I suppose once I catch my breath I’ll try it again, but I need to learn to listen to those (Nate Kiowa Jones and Griff) when they give me advise.

Anybody know of a pre-made screw driver for the cartridge guide screws in a pre-64?

PART THREE
Friday Evening:

After catching my breath I went back to the project.

I first put a cartridge in the chamber, sorry Griff I don’t have any dummy rounds, then pushed a patch in from the muzzle till it touched the bullet. Then from the chamber end I pushed it back forward about an inch. Then I put the rifle in my vise so I’d have both hands and eyes free.
Having the gun disassembled was a blessing because I could look through the action from the bottom side and watch what I was doing.

I used the propane torch to heat the Cerrosafe and found it gets it melted quickly and for some reason it stays molten longer.
Then using a pair of water pump pliers to hold the Cerrosafe can I carefully poured it into the chamber.

After that I put the rifle back in the gun vise and waited a few minutes before pushing the casting out of the chamber. This time it came out pretty easily.

After that I sat and worked on my drawing getting it ready for the measurements. From what I’ve read and been told an hour after the casting solidifies it will be almost exactly the same diameter as the chamber you made the casting from.
A nice close up pic of the casting.

So I did the measuring with both my micrometer and dial caliper. I got better more consistent results with the caliper so that’s where these measurements came from.
As you can see from the numbers this chamber is way over the SAAMI specs in the drawing Griff posted in the other thread. I believe this confirms my theory that this chamber is far enough out of specs as to be the cause of the split cases.
Also notice the chamber neck is longer than in the SAAMI drawing. Compared to a real cartridge it’s almost an 1/8” longer. But as you can also see, there is virtually no lead. I have some .309” copper plated bullets and some .311” cast (Lyman 311041) that will not chamber in this rifle. The bullets are hitting the rifling.
Now to decide how to deal with this.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: J Miller's Cerrosafe Follies, Part's 1 & 2

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Joe you went ahead with it... That seperates you from plenty that wont do it...It's a learning experiance that you're better off for... and you'll finally get it just the way you want it.. Be sure to at least get some of the rifling when you make the next cast... Chamber casts offer so much measurable info at your finger tips...
Rather than melt out my hard earned cast I'd have found some dowel rod the right diameter.. Run it down to the cast.. Cut it 3-4 inches longer than the end of the barrel and then went to hammering it out...
Edit: I've also resorted to cutting the dowel into two or three pieces when there was too much flex in the rod
Last edited by Ben_Rumson on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hey look at it this way. Now that you have figured out how not to do it the next time should be a snap. I am really looking forward to the end result on this as I know this gun has been a problem for you for quite some time.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Joe, that was an excellent post, and I for one am very impressed:
  • a) I learned more from it than from some slick gun-magazine 'how-to' article, where everything just works out fine (usually because they have done it a zillion times, and have the right sponsor's tools ready-at-hand).

b) It's encouraging to realize I'm not the only one who can mess up what should be an 'easy' project (remember my 'wheat stalk' broken-tap 'engraving' on my nice new Rossi...? :oops: :lol: )

c) It's humbling to realize that something I might conveniently forget to post about, since it didn't come out 'nice', you went ahead and posted, for the benefit of the rest of us to learn from*.

and,

d) You took the extra time to take pictures...! 8)
Hang in there Joe - you WILL prevail...! :mrgreen:

* - Well, maybe after it's finally done and you got the results you wanted, to snicker a bit about - with you, of course...
...and maybe given a month or so go by, to GUFFAW a bit about, if you'll let us...
:wink:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=11017
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Seriously, one lesson I've learned (after a dozen times re-learning it) is NEVER to start some project in the evening or when there is something I have to do or somewhere I have to go, later that day.

It never fails that somehow I'll be in a hurry, and try to skip a step, do without a tool, or whatever, and often it is a disaster.

Happens with working on guns, cars, home repairs, lawn mowers, you name it...

In fact, I don't even try when it comes to cars any more; I break more things than I am trying to fix, every time... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:Seriously, one lesson I've learned (after a dozen times re-learning it) is NEVER to start some project in the evening or when there is something I have to do or somewhere I have to go, later that day.

It never fails that somehow I'll be in a hurry, and try to skip a step, do without a tool, or whatever, and often it is a disaster.

Happens with working on guns, cars, home repairs, lawn mowers, you name it...

In fact, I don't even try when it comes to cars any more; I break more things than I am trying to fix, every time... :oops:
I've found the same exact thing. Years ago I ruined a beautiful engine in my mom's 63 Buick LeSabre when I was working on it at night and got too tired to pay attention to what I was doing. It killed my soul and I traded my car to the local wrecking yard to get mom's car a new engine.
Never again will I work on a vehicle at night unless I'm stranded somewhere or it's a genuine emergency.
Other things aren't so critical, but I should be careful to really pay attention to what I'm doing. I think I got distracted last night when I poured all that Cerrosafe into the action. Had I done it right I'd be finished by now.

Ah well, I have the time to do it again and no harm was done.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Good report so far.

Don't give up, I'm interested to see what you find out. Second time will be a piece of cake..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I watched my local gunsmith do a chambercast of my rifle and he used a rolled paper tube to deliver the metal down into the chamber. Also a slight touch of oil to help release after cooling. Also very important Cerrosafe expands slightly on cooling to room temp. See Brownell website for more info.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=384/ ... TING_ALLOY

I one time used the wrong mark on the Harmonic Balancer on an engine at 120 degrees out from the real one and naturally the engine did not run! This was in daylight so I can not use the excuse of being late at night!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My apologies Joe. I didn't give a measurement when I said to make sure you include some of the rifling in the cast. You should probably not let the plug be more than ¼" to ½" into the rifling. Remember, it twists and will act as an anchor in that it will need to twist out with the rifling to remove the cast. Overfilling the chamber back into the action area was where you really went wrong.

I made my own screw driver for the pre-64 guide screws. And thanks for the guidance on where to get guides. There is also a tool, much better than heating and bending a slot screwdriver as I did... but it's been as hard to find as winnin' lotto numbers on the web tonite. But, you can improvise by using a 1/4" ratcheting wrench like the "GearWrench" brand with a hollow ground bit in the ratcheting end to both tighten and remove the guide screws from inside the action... you may need to shorten the bit to fit. But the ¼" size only comes in the 13 piece set. Just looked it up and GearWrench makes a set: This set would be just as good, but I'm sure it much pricier than the tool I'm thinkin of... just can't remember where I last saw it for sale... :oops: :twisted: :?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: J Miller's Cerrosafe Follies, Part's 1, 2 & 3 "SUCCESS"

Post by J Miller »

Thread updated in first post. Woooo Hoooo :D :D

Joe
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

On p. 31 of the July 2009 Guns Magazine is a brief description of using wax to make chamber casts. With all the trouble Joe had with cerrosafe, me thinks the brief description just might be too brief. Surely, wax would be more difficult to use since it cools very quickly when heat is removed. So, how does one keep the wax in liquid state long enough to pour down a paper funnel into the chamber? Seems you have to juggle the funnel, hold the cup of wax, use a heat gun to keep the wax soft, keep the wax out of places you don't want it go (murphy's law absolutely will raise its unwanted head), and pour just enough so you can still get the cast (wad?!!) out of the action in a reasonably usable dimension, after you let the wax cool just enough for easy extraction.

rimrock
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

I still can't, for the life of me, really figure how the slight anomaly in chamber dimension at the shoulder and the junction of the neck and shoulder, would cause the splits you're getting. Your chamber is closer to a std. .30-30 than an AI chamber is. And, I don't think you would get your percentage of split cases in fire-forming AI cases from standard .30-30 brass.

Although, with the body of the case less supported in your chamber (that .404-.406 dimension) and the lack of support at the beginning of the neck, I guess it's just too much stretch in the outward dimension, as well as the expansion at the back of the neck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

I think .011" to .013" is more than just a slight anomaly. At any rate, as far as I am concerned, I've proven my theory about the chamber.

I suppose I could take my 1980 94 that has split maybe one or two cases in over a thousand rounds fired apart and do a chamber cast on it. That would be interesting I suppose.

At any rate I'm thinking on what to do with this carbine.

I have some extra very small bits for my Chapman Gun screw driver set. I'll have to shorten one of them and reduce the width of the bit some more, but I've done that before.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Griff,
I think .011" to .013" is more than just a slight anomaly. At any rate, as far as I am concerned, I've proven my theory about the chamber.
I have some extra very small bits for my Chapman Gun screw driver set. I'll have to shorten one of them and reduce the width of the bit some more, but I've done that before.
Joe
Funny you should mention Chapman. They make the tool I was thinking of. It's part of theirChapman Deluxe Gun Screwdriver Set.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Have you compared to .32 WS dimensions? Interesting post!

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

It's interesting that the junction of the neck to the shoulder is the same as the 32WS, but the case mouth is near the spec for the 30-30.
Interesting, but I'm not sure what it tells me other than that portion of the chamber is over sized.
There is no ridge or step that would say they used the 32 WS reamer part way then finished it with a 30-30 reamer. Unless they polished it out.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Here is a different drawing, showing both the cartridge specs and chamber specs.
3030wcf.jpg
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I had a Ruger 77 6mm that split new factory Federal cases at times - the chamber was out of round. I sent it back, they replaced the barrel and it is now fine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe, while ypu had the forend off, perchance did you "mike" the outside diameter from the front of the recvr forward a couple of inches?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:Joe, while ypu had the forend off, perchance did you "mike" the outside diameter from the front of the recvr forward a couple of inches?
Griff,
No I haven't. The forearm is still off so I can. So measure barrel OD at 2" and report back. Or measure every so much or how?

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

At 2" forward of the receiver the barrel OD is .815". There is no signs of rings or bulges anywhere.

Joe
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Vendors that cater to automotive mechanical shops carry well made rt angle screw drivers- size to match. Have to give the kudos to Snap-on at least they were the best screw driver 20+ years ago. White step vans w/red lettering usually found parked at dealerships or mechanical repair facilities. Mac and Matco also mke presentable stuff- found at same dockings.
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Hi Joe,
First, this picture won't help you much. The top looks to be a cartridge and the bottom is your chamber. That's comparing apples and oranges.

Your second picture lower part is the best place to look. Now you are comparing chembers to chambers.

Your .500 neck compared to the .460 may be incidental evidence. But it's not a good place to look. that's because the necks can stretch some. That's why we trim brass.
What you need to do is work from the breech end and take in to account the headpsace. If you feel your 2.039 minus the .500 measurement or 1.539 to the shoulder is correct then you still may need to add another .007 max headspace or 1.546. But, even then it still doesn't make the 1.5784 listed. That's over .030. That combined with possible excessive headspace is more than enough to split the cases at the shoulder area.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Steve,

The top plainer pic and the bottom pic of the double one have the same specs. I'm pretty sure they are both chamber drawings. One's just plainer than the other.

Yes the neck length is incidental and unrelated to my rifles problems.
I was not measuring case length or chamber length, only the diameters of the shoulders and neck area of the chamber where the cases have been splitting. Those are .011" to .013" larger than the specs shown on the bottom drawing. The neck tapers down to just over what the drawing says it should be. I just happened to notice the longer neck and mentioned it.

I won't say it doesn't have excessive head space, but this rifle has so few rounds through it that it would be unlikely. And I'm not taking it apart to remove the ejector and extractor from the bolt to measure it. Too much of a PITA right now.

Wish we were closer, I'd bring it over and we could discuss it in person. Getting on the same page on a thread like this is soooo difficult.

Joe
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good effort Joe, I am impressed :D

Tis a good looking rifle and worth the effort, good luck.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I know there's spec tollerance range that chambers are cut to and must stay within to be a SAAMI spec'd chamber ... How much can the 30-30 chamber vary and still be within SAAMI specs?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath wrote:Good effort Joe, I am impressed :D

Tis a good looking rifle and worth the effort, good luck.

Nath.
Nath,
Thanks. Yes it's a really nice example. I wouldn't mess with it if it didn't split so many cases. I can't afford to loose 24% of the cases fired in it.

Ben_Rumson wrote:I know there's spec tollerance range that chambers are cut to and must stay within to be a SAAMI spec'd chamber ... How much can the 30-30 chamber vary and still be within SAAMI specs?
Ben,
That, I don't know. I've looked at all the chamber spec pics I have and the most complete one is the double one I've posted above.
It says on the bottom right corner:
"UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED ALL DIA + .002 (0.05) LENGTH TOL + .015 (0.38)"
I'm not sure but that seems to mean the specs are already .002" over specs. If that's the case my chamber is way out.

Joe
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks Joe.. I saw that notation too...It'd be nice to see something that says SAAMI on it... Once again thanks for making the post... Now that you know how to do it...Gonna chance doing one of your other 30-30s?
WIL TERRY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Thanks Joe.. I saw that notation too...It'd be nice to see something that says SAAMI on it... Once again thanks for making the post... Now that you know how to do it...Gonna chance doing one of your other 30-30s?
Thinking about it. At least they being post-64s are easier to take apart.
I am going to do the 94AE Trapper in .45 Colt. I really want to see what that chamber measures out to.

Joe